Monday, June 24, 2013

Summer Herb Series: Roasted Corn Salsa



Photo By: Thomas Pix

Now that summer is here, I have really been craving lots of fresh food. It was my plan to start a summer garden once we moved into our new home, but things have been crazy over the last month and I just haven't had time to plan. Plus I have discovered we have rabbits. So, I'm putting plans for a summer garden on hold as we look forward to planting a fall garden. In the meantime, I have been digging going to my local farmers market and starting a small herb garden.

With fresh herbs at my fingertips each night, I have been inspired to create lots of fresh summer recipes. Each week for the rest of summer, I hope to bring you new easy, fresh recipes flavored with fresh herbs. 

My first recipe is a roasted corn salsa. Fresh corn is so accessible in the summer and so sweet. To me there is nothing like the taste of fresh ears of corn roasted in the oven. It so good there is no need for salt or pepper.  This recipe brings together all of my favorite fresh flavors of summer. It's great topped on tacos and can even be served as a salad. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family.

Roasted Corn Salsa

5 ears of corn, shucked and cleaned
2 tablespoons of Earth Balance soy-free butter
1 onion, chopped
3 garden fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
6 fresh basil leaves, rolled and sliced
juice of one lime
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Method
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • Rub corn with earth balance soy-free butter and place on a baking sheet. 
  • Bake for 25 minutes turning half way. 
  • Once corn is cool enough to touch, cut all of the kernels off the cob. 
  • Place corn kernels, basil, tomatoes, and jalapeno in a bowl. 
  • Pour lime juice and salt over mixture. Mix well.
  • Chill for at least 30 minutes before sharing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...