Friday, January 11, 2013

Transitioning to a Dairy-Free,Gluten-Free,Peanut-free,Egg-Free and Soy-Free Lifestyle

I started my family's transition to a gluten-free,dairy-free,egg-free, peanut-free and soy-free lifestyle immediately after Catherine was diagnosed with multiple food allergies. It has been a month since I had a slice of whole wheat bread or enjoyed traditional macaroni and cheese, but I can honestly say, the transition has not been bad.

The day Catherine was diagnosed, my family and I went on a gluten and dairy free shopping spree at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.  We bought everything from gluten-free pasta and bread to butter substitutes. Family and friends were also nice enough to help us transition by donating products. We live in the Midwest, and it was fairly easy to find a wide range of products available.

Listed below is my guide to living a gluten-free,dairy-free, egg-free,peanut-free and soy-free lifestyle. Included are the products my family and I use. When making a dietary lifestyle change, it's important to be encouraged and open minded. I consider myself to be a foodie with great taste, and I have found that I can still enjoy cooking,eating and baking without loosing flavor.  Over the holiday season, I was unable to bake my family's favorites,however, I was able to start new traditions. I baked a great apple cake and Mexican wedding cookies!

Products
  1. Rice Milk- My family loves rice milk. We were actually drinking it daily before Catherine was diagnosed. We use the Rice Dream brand.
  2. Earth Balance Soy Free Butter Spread-  I'm no Paula Deen, but as a women from the south, having butter in my refrigerator was important to me. This spread is great for every day cooking and baking. This is the only butter substitute Catherine can have.
  3. Coconut Oil- Coconut oil is great for cooking and more (I also use it on my hair). It gives all of your food a great coconut flavor. We use the 365 brand.
  4. Corn Pasta- Cooks just like regular pasta. I like this more than the other pasta alternatives.
  5. Brown Rice Bread- This is the only bread that I can buy off the shelf. It is expensive and the loaf is tiny. It has gotten us by, but I am researching recipes so that I can make my own in the future. 
  6. Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Flour- This is the only flour I use at the time. It makes gluten free baking simplified. I'm looking forward to trying other flour blends and perhaps making my own.
  7. Xanthum Gum-You use this when baking. It's expensive, but you only need a little for each recipe.
  8. Spectrum All Natural Vegetable Shortening- This is the only vegetable shortening that I have found that doesn't include soy! 


Tips
  1. Fruits and Vegetables are naturally free of gluten,soy,egg, and dairy. We have tried to increase our daily servings.
  2. Corn,potatoes,rice,and quinoa are also gluten,soy, and dairy free. 
  3. We try to buy grass fed beef and organic chicken when we eat meat. Apparently, conventional beef can be feed soy, which can cause a reaction if you are really sensitive.
  4. Read labels. Read Labels, Read Labels. I can't say this enough. Traces of soy, wheat, and milk can be found in everything. Even in spice mixes.
I hope my tips and list of useful products has been helpful. I have only been at this a month, so I have a lot more to learn. Do you live a gluten-free,soy-free,egg-free, peanut-free or dairy-free lifestyle? If so, what products do you use? What are your tips?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...